Sunday, March 22, 2015

Head Injuries Galore


Preston is probably the only kid I know who could injure his head and get 2 black-eyes all within weeks of each other. His first head injury #1 happened when he was jumping around on our bed and fell off the foot of the bed and hit his head pretty hard. He cried but he quickly recovered so I didn't think much about it. Then about 20 minutes later, he said his head was hurting and started to whine and cry so I thought that maybe he got a headache from hitting his head. So I went to grab some Tylenol and just as I started to give him some, he leaned over and started to throw up. I quickly called for Brent because I instantly suspected he got a concussion. Shortly after throwing up he became very tired and lethargic, so Brent and I went straight to the ER to get him checked out. The CT scan didn't show any internal bleeding which was great but the Doctor did say he suffered a small concussion. By the time we left the ER, Preston was gaining his energy back and all seemed much better. This kid!!

Head Injury #1 - Concussion (leaving the ER)

Head injury #2 came about a week after his concussion while he was at school playing. I got a call from his school around 4pm and they told me that Preston and another boy ran straight into each other while playing and Preston was in the main office and I should probably come and get him. When I got there, he was sitting on one of the girls lap with a big bandage above his eye. When we got home to look at it, you could tell he got a boxer cut right above his left eye. We debated going back to the ER to get him checked out but because he wasn't showing any signs of a concussion, we decided to keep a close eye on him to make sure no concussion signs developed. The next morning, his eye area was very swollen and bruising up pretty good. It took about a week of doctoring his eye before it finally started to get better. 

Head Injury #2 - Boxer Cut Above Left Eye

Head injury #3 came almost exactly 1 week after his eye injury at school. We were getting ready for bed and while I was washing my face, Preston was on my bed watching Mickey. Then all of a sudden I hear a loud thump and then I hear Preston crying his really "I'm hurt" cry which is when he can hardly breath because he is crying so hard. I quickly picked him up off the floor to realize there was blood running down his face and it was coming from his right eye area. I screamed for Brent and was in full panic mode because I wasn't  sure what had happened and I wasn't sure how badly his eye was hurt. I was in full disbelief that he just hurt his other eye just as we got his left eye completely healed. 
Brent had to help me calm down and after cleaning up Preston as much as we could, we realized he split the skin above and under his right eye. I held him until he was able to stop crying and then it was back at playing eye doctor. The next morning, Preston's eye was completely swollen shut and bruising pretty good so we kept him home from school and monitored him all day. 
It took about another week for his eye to heal and we are keeping our fingers crossed that this is it for eye injuries for a while.

Head Injury #3 - Falling Off the Bed

No comments:

Post a Comment