Friday, February 21, 2014

Pee Pee in the Potty - February 21, 2014

After Preston turned 2 we knew that potty training was just around the corner but Brent and I both didn't want to pressure Preston too soon before he was ready. At his 2 year check-up, his doctor said we shouldn't be surprised if he didn't show any interest or seemed ready to start potty training until he was 2 in a half or 3 years old. Knowing that, we just decided to keep doing what we have always been doing and that is to describe to Preston what we are doing when he watches us in the bathroom, tell him when he goes pee pee or poo poo, show him what pee pee looks like verse poo poo, let him flush for us and get the toilet paper for us too. When he started his new class when he turned 2, they have potties in there so they can start introducing the potty to the younger ones and for the older kids to actually use them. I knew this would be very helpful in Preston's potty training and I was eager to see when they would start introducing it to Preston because so far they hadn't sat him on their potties yet. 

This past week, Preston came to me and said "Poo Poo" and grabbed his diaper. I asked if he needed to go Poo Poo and he said "yes". I was surprised that he came to me and told me he needed to go instead of just going in his diaper as normal. I didn't have a little potty for him to use so I placed him on the regular potty to see how he reacted. He didn't get upset but it didn't really work to sit him on the regular potty because it was obviously too big so I went to Target to get him his own potty so we would be ready the next time he said he needed to go.

When we got home, I excitedly showed Preston his potty and explained about it to him, let him touch and explore it and placed it in the downstairs bathroom. I didn't force the issue any further and just left the potty in the bathroom in case he showed interest in needing to potty again.

Then on the night of February 21st as Brent and I were watching TV in the living room and Preston was playing with his toys, Preston got up and went in the bathroom and brought his potty into the living room. He proceeded to started playing with it as a toy by standing on it, opening/closing the lid and taking the seat off. Brent told me we shouldn't let him play with it like a toy and I agreed. Just when I was about to tell Preston the potty is not a toy he stood beside it and pulled his pants down. Up until this point, he had never pulled his pants down on his own so this totally surprised us. I asked him if he needed to go potty and he said "yes". I went to him and said, "ok, lets go potty". I removed his diaper and he sat himself down on the potty. Brent and I looked at each other in total shock and watched to see what he did next. He sat for a while, then would stand up and then sit back down again, watch TV and look down inside the potty. I was nervous that he was going to pee pee on the floor because its not like their little penis points towards the potty bowl so I showed Preston that if he needed to pee pee that it needed to go inside the blue bowl. He continued to stand, then sit, watch TV, stand and sit again and I continued taking as many pictures as I could to capture his first potty experience. I kept looking inside the potty bowl to see if he had gone yet and then finally when I checked, there was liquid inside the blue potty bowl. I excitedly said to Preston, "Yay!! You went pee pee in the potty". Brent and I told Preston we were so proud of him and gave him a lot of praise. That was Preston's first time going pee pee in the potty and I couldn't believe that he basically did it all on his own doing. That weekend, Preston went pee pee in the potty once on Saturday night and twice on Sunday night. I know this is just the beginning and we have a long way to go before he is totally potty trained but I am so proud of my little guy!!!

About a month later, Present went Poo Poo in the potty for the first time. He did this on Sunday morning of March 31, 2014. He wanted to go pee pee so he grabbed his potty and brought it into the living room as normal and went pee pee. He then poured it into the regular potty and then wanted to go pee pee again. So I let him do his thing as I cleaned up a little around the house. The next thing I know, Preston is crying and I wasn't sure why. I went to him and he had his hand up and I could clearly see there was poo poo on his hand. I knew what had happened and was praying he didn't go poo poo on the rug in the living room. Finding no evidence of this, I checked his potty just to see and sure enough, he went poo poo in his little potty. We were soo surprised and found it very cute that he was so upset about having poo poo on his hand. I cleaned him up and we gave him some good praise for his new accomplishment!!

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment