The helmet journey was one that I was not expecting to be on but 2 months ago, we found ourselves in reposition therapy with Early Childhood Intervention to help with the tightness of his neck muscle, making appointments at Level 4 Star Cranial Center getting Parker's head scanned and fitted for a helmet and on the phone with our insurance company trying to figure out if the $5,000 bill would be covered or not. Luckily, after hours of phone conversations with multiple people, our insurance said they would cover the cost at 100% and because we were getting Parker started early with the helmet, that treatment hopefully wouldn't be more than 2-3 months.
While Parker was in the helmet, he really didn't seem to mind it and I was very happy that he didn't cry every time we had to put it on. One thing I didn't expect to experience was how much I was going to miss being able to randomly kiss Parker on the face or head while holding him or how much I was going to miss seeing his whole face. After about a month, I was so ready to be done with the helmet and have my little baby back but his head was pretty flat and I knew in the grand scheme of things, time in the helmet would go by sooner than later.
At the 2 month mark, they do a second scan to see where his measurements were falling and below 6 was the goal and when she said he was 3.5, I honestly couldn't believe it. Mom and I were so happy and I couldn't wait to hold Parker for an entire day without his helmet on.
It's so amazing there are doctors and the technology to remold and reshape these little babies heads.
Way to go Parker!! We love you!!!
Before
At the initial appointment getting his head scanned
Yea!! No more Helmet!!
Left is Before, Right is After
Red is Before, Blue is After
Parker Bear in his Helmet







No comments:
Post a Comment