This year sparked a season of new traditions for Brent's Mom side of the family. For the past 30+ years, Vicki and her family have always had Thanksgiving in Tulsa at Grams and Peeps house but this past year Grams and Peeps sold their Tulsa home and moved to Dallas to be closer to their family. I'm so thankful that I got to experience Thanksgiving in Tulsa in 2007 before that chapter came to a close. Grams and Peeps lived in a cozy neighborhood tucked away with trees filling the whole neighborhood. It was absolutely beautiful. Every year, everyone from out of town would drive up and stay at Grams and Peeps all the way through the weekend. They had a really big house, so there was plenty of room for everyone! The best part about Thanksgiving in Tulsa besides Thanksgiving dinner was going to Coney Island the day after to eat their world famous hot dogs. I'm not a big hot dog fan but I have to say, Coney Island hot dogs are the best I have ever had and I still find myself craving them from time to time. The whole family would load up and drive to the original one downtown, get at least 3-4 dogs each and take a family photo inside Coney Island. On the way home, we would drive by and reminisce about the Dry Cleaner's shop Grams and Peeps ran for many many years downtown. So much history and I love hearing the stories everytime!
Grams & Peeps House in Tulsa (2007)

Grams, Peeps, Brent and I (2007)

My first Coney Island experience (2007)

This year, Vicki hosted Thanksgiving at her house for everyone and it turned out great. We all stuffed ourselves full of great food and the most amazing macaroni and cheese ever made on this earth, watched the Cowboys claim another victory and played a wild game of Uno. I won the turkey prize and help provide the half time entertainment during the Cowboy's game. I'm so thankful I married into a welcoming and warm family!!
Happy Thanksgiving B-rent

Brent's Mom's side of the family: Justin, Peeps, Steve, Mel and Sheila

Vicki and her boys and even Low

We love you Grams!!!

Passing the time with a good game of ping pong

Get out of the food B-rent

Time for our Thanksgiving feast!! Whoo hoo

Looks yummy

Cowboys half-time performers (Vicki, me, Jill and Lauren)

The next day, we continued our Coney Island tradition by fixing hot dogs over at Mel and Justin's house. Grams made her yummy chilly and we had all the fixings to go with it. I think we all missed having a warm and juicy hot dog from Coney Island but we were all together and that is what meant the most!!
Our new "Coney Island" tradition
.jpg)
The family over at Mel and Justin's
.jpg)
Dave & Vicki munching on their hot dogs
.jpg)
Family Photo
.jpg)
The fun didn't stop there!! That evening Brent and I spent time with his dad, Kathy, Brad and Kathy's family for a fajitas style Thanksgiving. I wasn't sure if I could stuff anymore food in my belly but after seeing how good all the food looked, I had to have at least one fajitas. Brent had 4 and I have no idea how he ate that much. It was fun getting to see them for the holidays and it was a perfect close to a wonderful first Thanksgiving as Mrs. Porter!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment