The birth of Preston Jack
I was 41 weeks along and was scheduled to be induced the morning of Jan. 31st if Preston didn't arrive on his on. I was really hoping he would come on his own because I wanted to experience the process of going into labor and feeling all the joys and pains of that once in a life time experience. The night before my scheduled induction, I made sure everything was ready to go and my mom came over to our house to spend the night and go to the hospital with Brent and I that following morning to be induced. Brent went to bed around 9pm and my mom and I stayed up for a little while talking then it was off to bed because we had to wake up pretty early to be at the hospital by 7am. I went to bed around 10pm and was waken up by a slight sharp pain in my lower back. I didn't think much of it, thinking it was probably gas pains and went back to sleep. Not sure what time it was but I was waken again by the same pain in my back. Still not thinking much of it, I went back to sleep just to be waken again. The thought did cross my mind if I was having contractions but I didn't really believe it was possible. Surely, I wouldn't go into labor a few hours before being induced. I'm not that lucky of a person. By 1am, I was having several waves of the back pain and went into the living room where my mom was and told her I thought I was having contractions. I started to track my pains on my contractions app just in case I was indeed having contractions. By 3:30am, we concluded that I was in fact having contractions because the pain intensified tremendously. I guess I was getting what I was asking for!!
My contractions were not consistent so we decided not to go to the hospital until my 7am scheduled time. I took a shower, did my make-up and even curled my hair in between my contractions. I wanted to look as pretty as possible because I knew a lot of pictures would be taken and I wanted to look my best. Brent couldn't believe I was curling my hair and he even rubbed my back during my contractions while curling my hair. That was an early sign of how good he was going to be during this process.
We all headed to the hospital and arrived right on time. We checked in, got the paper work done and then finally got to my delivery room. I figured I was probably dilated to a 3 and since I was already contracting my delivery nurse decided to check me to see exactly how far I was progressing. She couldn't believe it and said I was already dilated to a 5 and considered me to be in active labor. I was shocked I was moving along so quickly and got pretty emotional (a good emotional). She got all my information in the system and got my IV started. She said because I did what I was told and didn't eat or drink anything in the last 8 hours, I would have to go through 2 bags of IV fluid before they could administer the epidural. My contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart and about an hour later they were what felt like back-to-back. They had to put oxygen on my because I was crying due to the pain and not breathing very well. I'm not sure how long it took to go through the IV fluid but finally the anesthesiologist came in to administer my epidural. It was such a relief when the epidural started to work. The epidural did slow my progress down so they started me on pitocin to keep things moving along. Preston didn't like that at all and his heart rate started to drop. They stopped the pitocin and got his heart rate back up. Dr. Grisham came in and checked my progress. To everyone's surprise I was dilated to a 9. He said we would be having a baby very soon and I couldn't believe how quickly everything was happening.
I'm not sure how much time had passed but when they said it was time to start pushing, I was over taken with emotion. The pushing process wasn't as bad as I was anticipating and it was the most amazing moment any woman could ever experience. About 30 minutes into it, Preston's head was beginning to emerge and the delivery nurse took my hand and had me feel his head. Brent and my mom kept me going by saying I was doing so good and about 30 minutes later, Preston was born!!
They layed him on my chest right after coming out and it startled me at first because he was so blue. As he and I layed there I told him how much I loved him and kept kissing him all while crying of course. The nursing staff then took him to get his vitals and do all the things they needed to get done. Looking at him from across the room, it was like I was in a daze or had tunnel vision right to him. I had no clue what was going on around me, all I knew is that my little boy was ok and I couldn't wait to hold him again.
The birth of Preston was truly the most amazing experience that I will never forget. He is our precious angel and God has blessed us beyond comprehension. I couldn't have done it without the support of Brent, my mom, my family and best friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment