Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A New Halloween Tradition


I was more than excited to have the family over last Saturday to officially begin a tradition that I hope we keep for a lifetime or at least for a very long time to come. Every year for Halloween I would like the family to get together to have dinner, carve/decorate pumpkins and end the night by going through all the Halloween toys we plan to donate to the Children’s Hospital for their annual Halloween Carnival.

When I was pregnant, I began thinking about traditions I wanted to start once Preston was born and I wanted them to involve helping or giving to others. My original thought for Halloween was to have the family over for dinner and to spend the evening making candy bags for the kids at the Children’s Hospital. But when I called the hospital to find out what the rules and regulations were for providing donations she said that unfortunately the kids can’t have candy due to their dietary needs but that they could use toys and trinkets to use as prizes for the kids during their annual Halloween Carnival. So I changed my plan and asked the family to go to the dollar store or the dollar section of Target and grab a few toys to donate to the hospital. They were more than happy to help and provided a lot of toys. I wanted to take this one step further so I got permission from my boss to have a toy collection box at my desk and collect toys from members of the office. I drafted up an email and sent it out to the people at my work and I was pleasantly surprised by how many people wanted to help my cause. When they saw my decorated cardboard box, it got them excited to fill it with lots of goodies for the kids.
So at our family get together we had lasagna, bread and salad for dinner, then went straight into carving our pumpkins then ended the night with announcing the winners of the pumpkin carving contest and looking at all the fun Halloween toys. We all had a great time spending time with one another and coming together for a great cause.
In the years to come, I plan to take Preston to the store so he can pick out the toys to donate to the kids. I think we started this tradition off right and I’m excited to do this again next year!!

Spooky decorations

This mask scared Jessie soo good
Result of craft night with Kathy & Jessie
My wonderful family
Lets get to carving
Hard at work
That white pumpkin stinks
Mom, carefully planning her design
Daddy carving his Frankenstein
Preston learning how it is done
Jessie carving her scary witch on a broom
Mom getting creative
Jerod taking a funny break to pretend to shave with the carving stick
Master at work
Preston enjoying our new carpet
Preston showing off his standing skills

Very curious about those purple lights
This kid is not fearful
Proud cousin Jerod
Halloween craft I did with Preston
Brent's favorite Halloween candy
 Mummy pumpkin for a new mummy of a mommy
 Vicki's decorated pumpkin
 Jerod thought of this on his own..2 face pumpkin. I'm so proud!!
 Daddies finished project
 Brad & Jessie's pumpkins
 Mom's cheerful pumpkin
 Dave's master carving skills
 And the winners are...!!!
 Brad - 1st Place
Jessie - 2nd Place
Jerod - 3rd Place
Our toy donation box for the Children's Hospital
We had a great turnout
 Jerod couldn't resist trying on a few of the masks
 Me either
 Donation set up at work
We delivered the toys to the Children's Hospital of Plano

No comments:

Post a Comment