Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Christmas with John & Kathy


This year for Christmas, we got to spend a little more time with John and Kathy because we celebrated early with my family. Our first celebration with them was on Saturday, December 22nd when we gathered for our traditional dinner and presents at John and Kathy’s house. It was a little bitter sweet because although I was super excited to watch Preston celebrate Christmas for the first time with his Grandpa and Nana, Brent wasn’t able to come because he got sick a few days before with the flu. We made the best of it and enjoyed Kathy’s dinner of prime rib, twice baked potatoes, green bean casserole and John’s Jingle Juice. After dinner we all scratched our lottery cards to see if anyone won anything and I and Brad were the only ones who won a little something. Me $2 and Brad $10. Preston entertained us all during dinner by showing off his bouncing skills in his door swing while we ate at the dinner table. He enjoyed his dairy free, soy free, gluten free, nut free bread and water from his sippy cup and had the best time jumping all around and smiling the whole time.
After dinner, we made our way to the living room to open all our gifts by the fireplace. John and Kathy nailed it this year when they gave me an old set of canisters, milk glass dishware and my green craft table from the antique store in Frisco. They gave Preston the antique looking superhero signs that I love along with a toy train and set of toy car keys he can play with instead of playing with mommy’s actual keys.
Brent was a little bummed that he couldn’t be there to see their reaction to the wooden outdoor cooler we gave them but they loved it and Preston had a good time playing inside it.
It started to get late, so Preston and I headed home but we had a fantastic first Christmas with Nana and Grandpa!!!!

Christmas Eve Candle Light Service
Our schedule was open on Christmas Eve, so we got the opportunity to attend the Candle Light Christmas Service with John and Kathy at their church. Before we went to the service, we met at their house so Brent could open his gifts from them now that he was feeling better. After Brent opened his gifts, John and Kathy shared the sad news that she will be battling breast cancer. It took us both by complete surprise and I couldn’t help but cry when I finally processed what she had just told us. It broke my heart to know that she will be having a difficult 2013 but she has a great support system and we let her know that we are there for her anytime. She seems pretty scared and nervous and all we can do right now is pray that the Lord will heal her of this.
After collecting ourselves, we then headed to their church to attend the service. I was so excited to attend because I have never attended a candle light service before. Preston did great most of the time and he really enjoyed the music but he did get fussy a few times and I had to quickly take him out into the hallway. Right as the candle light song was beginning Preston decided to get loud and I had to take him out again. I couldn’t believe that I was missing the one thing I was so excited about but a mom has to do what a mom has to do. So, I did miss it but at least I got to enjoy all the music I did get to sit through and Brent got to spend some quality time with his Dad.
After the ceremony, we went out to dinner with them to their traditional Christmas Eve spot off lower Greenville Ave at St. Martin’s Wine Bistro. The owner knows them and we got seated right away. We enjoyed a fancy 3 course dinner and I enjoyed a glass of wine with Kathy. Preston stayed in his carrier and had fun playing pick-a-boo with Kathy and banging his 2 spoons together.
After dinner, we drove back to John and Kathy’s house to get our car and then we headed straight for Vicki and Dave’s house begin our 3rd Christmas celebration.

Preston getting ready to dump this whole thing over
 Mommy & Preston
 He's loving his nothing bread
 Look at those big new teeth
 Baby comes with the cooler
 Hey Grandpa, come in with me
 Looking to see what Nana is doing
 Brent's favorite new toy
 Grandpa giving Preston a talking to...not really. They were just looking at each other
 Good job Bubba...your officially walking!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment